Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Week 4 thoughts...

As all of you read in my paper, I am not so keen on this idea of conference summaries. I think point blankly that they are a waste of time, especially at a small univeristy like Richmond, where most of the students ACTUALLY have relationships with their professors. The professors can see the progress of their students in both class discussions and through out assignments. The point of having such small classes is so that there is this communication and relationship between professors and students. There is no need for a middle man such as a writing consultant to spend time explaining the progress of a student that the professor can see and acknowledge himself due to the class size and relationship.

I also think that these conference summaries make it seem as if consultants are not trusted. We are in college now, we do not need to be constantly monitored after ever consultation. If a consultant is extra busy with clients than that would mean extra conference summaries which would just take up even more time that could be put towards actually helping someone.

While my opinions may seem rather... bold and strong, I do not mean to offend anyone who does like this idea. I however, believe that it is just unnecessary for a school as intimate and small as Richmond

1 comment:

  1. For schools as intimate as ours, I agree with you. The summary seems like an added, unnecessary component. Of course, this is arguable because they are some benefits to the summaries, but for the most part I feel like we could do without them at Richmond.

    ReplyDelete