Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Week 3

High School to College writing...

When I first read this topic, I thought wow... I am a senior in college, I cannot even remember what it was like in high school. But I thought back 4 or 5 or 6 or 7 years.. wow am I old, and remembered things I used to write about in high school. I remember when studying for the SAT, I was always told that the best essays were the longest- word count was important. I also remember my tutor telling me to throw in a few big words if I could and to stay within the traditional intro, few supporting body paragraphs, conclusion. I did just this and received a pretty great score on my SAT writing section, well at least high enough to get out of Expository. However, getting out of expos only made me a little too confident. I thought wow, college must really not be that difficult. So I went to classes and wrote my first core paper and oh shit... maybe I am not such a good writer after all. Think of something original, I was told. But why? I just didn't get this. I knew the book and wrote about what happened and the characters, so why should I try and make up some new idea that I didn't even know if I could prove?

This is when it hit me. College writing is more about thinking outside the box. I could know every line of the story and the characters, but I had to transition away from this regurgitation and focus on bringing something innovative and new to the table. I would say that college writing really challenges my creativity. I tend to focus more on a cool or interesting character or piece of the literature that I find different and can write about. This is what I strive to excel in. I don't care about the professor or how he thinks- I write about something interesting to me, and if I can find this passionate thing and argue it, I feel accomplished myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment