Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Consultation with my Sister Part 2

I had my second skype consultation with my sister, who wants to transfer colleges. We awkwardly said hello via the internet and discussed the progress from her rough draft/brainstorming session that we had about a week ago to her fully completed draft.
I was pretty impressed. This girl who a week ago was so flustered and would constantly contact me alerting me of her stress level actually pulled herself together, thought about what I suggested she do (think about the real reasons she wanted to transfer) and even supported this information.
I had little to suggest. I fixed some technical errors and switched around the wordiness of some sentences, but overall she had her ideas together, and she was able to really show rather than tell how transferring would benefit her. I really was proud of her, for she overcame her fear of saying the wrong thing and wrote a good, convincing essay. She brought in her personality, which I suggested and I think it is going to do her justice.
While we did not only have two consultations, it was more like 10 between the phone calls, emails, and bbms, I feel confident that I helped her bring out the truth. While fixing minor errors here and there is somewhat important to show that a person is a good writer, I think that getting her to dig down deep was way more important and beneficial than changing a few words.
I feel satisfied, and I think she does too.

No comments:

Post a Comment