Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Last Week ESL Speaker

I really enjoyed listening to the speaker that came in last week. She discussed life for ESL students at the University of Richmond and some of the difficulties that they face.
It was interesting how she made us feel like a temporary exchange student. The first five minutes of the class she spoke in Turkish, and had us learn how to say my name is... what is your name and then had us go around the room using Turkish. This was really effective, for since English is just a dominant language, I have been in very few situations where using English hasn't worked.
I can only remember one time, in Paris, when ordering gelato, that I needed to use French. I was overwhelmed and confused, so I can only imagine what students with ESL feel like when their American teacher at Richmond is speaking quickly in a language that isn't their first.
I really liked her suggestion that we should try and develop a common bond with the ESL student that we tutor. She said that learning goodbye or a simply, yet silly phrase makes the student feel more comfortable. I would completely agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment