Wednesday, November 3, 2010

As I read the article for today about the research and discovery about literacy in Pittsburgh, my hometown, I found that it was particularly interesting how the definition of literacy is different to us now and changed over time. I never thought of literacy outside of her basic definition "ability to read and write" either, but it seems that situational factor such as war and culture really did influence the definition.

Moving on, I was very similar to the author in high school. I knew that not going to college wasn't even an option and I took 6 AP classes and every honors course offered. Reading about how many students don't graduate, and of the small portion that does, less than half make it to some type of post high school education is absolutely amazing. In my own city, I want to estimate that the Northside is about 20 minutes from where I am from, there can be students who are the absolute antithesis of each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment