Sunday, August 29, 2010

Week 1 and 2


When reading "The Writing Lab" newsletter, I thought it was really interesting to focus on the idea of the the assignment sheet. While I believe that the assignment sheet is very important to decoding what a teacher wants, I do not think that decoding the sheet will necessarily result in exactly what the teacher wants. I have come across some assignment sheets that are rather vague or let the student pick the topic or direction that he or she wants to go for. This almost makes the assignment harder, for the student does not have any direct focus and specificity to go for. However, I feel that going through the assignment sheet thoroughly with a student will definitely help a student get a better understanding of how the assignment should be attacked and conquered.

The Wayne Booth article was one that I really enjoyed reading. As a rhetoric and communications major, and a Speech Consultant at the Speech Center, I just love rhetoric. The rhetorical stance where you must know the available arguments, interests of the audience, and voice of the speaker remind me of ethos, pathos, and logos and their vitality to writing and persuading as well. All three of these are vital to making arguments and are so important to convincing writing. I think that as much as

No comments:

Post a Comment